Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Worth Buying The Hobbit Blu-ray?

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Released on Blu-ray 

The Hobbit opened up to intense criticism upon its release in December. Some questioned the wisdom of extending a 300 page children’s book to beyond 2.5 hours.
While it was more than acceptable with the Lord of the Rings trilogy given the booming expanse covered in 3 books, it seemed foolish to extend 300 pages over so long a film reel. Others questioned the technical delivery of the film, specifically the 48 frames per second use. While one party claims that it added additional dimensions to realism, others complained of nausea and headaches.


I must say though, that the 2 and a half hour plus screen time didn't seem drawn-out by any means. I welcomed it. I had the chance to revisit the world created by Peter Jackson in the LOTR movies, so any extra minute that I spent helped heighten my feels of nostalgia and yearning for Middle-Earth. Besides, the visuals, scenery and landscapes were designed flawlessly, from the mountain tops to a single blade of grass. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Despite all the photographic set designs, the characters were in no way upstaged. Dwarves and wizards took the spotlight in turns, but the most noteworthy performances were from Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Andy Serkis’ Gollum. Their Riddles in the Dark scene was hypnotic and spell-binding from the start. I found myself trying to solve the riddles, much to the chagrin of the guy who was seated next to me.

So what is my opinion on the High Frame Rate? I have none. Living in a developing country, our cinema halls cannot afford this technology. Talk to me in another 50 years.

Yet, the development of the more darker plots, especially with regard to the necromancer were too subtle, almost irrelevant given that it was not built upon in any meaningful manner. It probably would become a focal point in the next installment but understating that bit of material was a downside to me.


Despite this, a minor hiccup did not rob the movie of its majesty by any means. This is a must watch for fans of Middle Earth and I think anyone who hasn't watched the Lord of the Rings movies can also relish it. But then, there are no such people. Buy it soon. 

Blu-Ray Features

Video Blogs

- Start of Production
- Location Scouting
- Shooting Block One
- Filming in 3D
- Locations Part 1
- Locations Part 2
- Stone St. Studios Tour
- Wrap of Principal Photography
- Post-production Overview
- Wellington World Premiere Theatrical Trailers
- Dwarves
- Letter Opener
- Bilbo Contract
- Gandalf Wagers
- Gollum Paths

Game Trailer

- The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-Earth
- Guardians of Middle-Earth
- Lego The Lord of the Rings     


The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey dwarves




Movie Musing | Promote your Page too

No comments:

Post a Comment