Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Godzilla (2014) Teaser Trailer: Most Intimidating Version Yet?

Various Godzilla Versions in Movies


Today saw the release of the new trailer for Godzilla, the reboot that is to be released in May 2014. It stars Bryan Cranston, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen. I must say that it is extremely strange to see Cranston sporting a longer hair style after his outing in Breaking Bad, where we were accustomed to seeing him without any hair on his scalp.
Anyway, the trailer starts off with a speech from David Strathairn I presume, where he speaks to a group of soldiers who jump off a plane into a smoldering city. This sequence was exceptional, where a wide angle shot allows the storm of dust and debris Godzilla has created to be caught. It truly looked like an apocalyptic nightmare. Then we move into the first person view and witness the carnage from the perspective of one soldier as he descends into the city from the skies. The teasers are set up perfectly here, as we can only see a glimpse of Godzilla’s spiky back through a screen of filthy air and fire.
The teasing continues, with us only being able to see the destruction the Kaiju monster creates until the last few seconds of the trailer, where we once again see his spiky back, as if massive shards of glass were jutting out, and then we see his head. Unlike the 1998 model of the monster which was more like a T-Rex, this version has a shorter snout (I hope it’s the right word). I wanted to look at the various versions of the creature that had appeared in film, since its inception in 1954.
The 1954 film was made by Japanese film company Toho and decided to have a monster that was a combination of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, Stegosaurus and an Iguanodon. Filming for the first film relied on a scaled model of Tokyo and it was a man in a suit (Haruo Nakajima) that played the role of the Kaiju monster. As of today, Toho has released 28 Godzilla films with the last being distributed in 2004, so I’m not going to go through each iteration.
Instead, I wanted to compare the original monster with the ones in the American productions. I was first introduced to Godzilla through the 1998 American film when I was 3 years old. Naturally, I hold this film in high regard despite universal objection by the masses. What can I say, kids are easily impressed by anything surreal. This version seemed to specifically focus on the T-Rex look for the monster, opting to discard or minimize the influence of the other dinosaurs that served as inspiration for the original Japanese film. Hence, we got a longer pout and a faster creature.
And now, with the 2014 reboot trailer being released, I can honestly say that it is more faithful to the original than the 1998 Mathew Broderick film. What stood out to me was that massive, plated back and the shorter pout, features that were present in the 1954 Japanese original. The monster in the upcoming feature also appears to be larger than in the 1998 feature, but much slower. This makes sense since a larger creature generally tends to travel at reduced speeds.
The problem for me is that I’m partial towards the 1998 monster, simply because it was the first Godzilla movie I watched and I love the T-Rex in general, so it created a stronger impression on my mind. While the upcoming version of the reptilian hybrid looks more intimidating, the shorter pout makes it look slightly comical. As of now, I’m conflicted about which iteration had the most awesome-looking monster.  I think it’s the 1998 version, but then again, we’ve only had teasers of the monster in the 2014 movie so we can certainly expect more to come.  
Godzilla in 1998

Godzilla in 1954


No comments:

Post a Comment